Nuts for Bananas Healthy Muffin Recipe
Nuts for Bananas Healthy Muffins
These super moist muffins are healthy and toddler/kid friendly banana nut muffins. Muffins are great to make ahead and freeze in an air tight bag, take them out and thaw for a busy morning or pop some in the oven to serve warm. You can also individually wrap them in plastic for an easy on-the-go breakfast.
These nutrient rich banana nut muffins are delicious when served warm right out of the oven, but even better with a smear of almond or peanut butter.
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey or agave nectar
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium size bananas)
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (Plus more to sprinkle on top*)
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats (Plus more to sprinkle on top*)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- *Optional Extras: Sprinkle tops of muffins with extra oats and extra cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the melted coconut oil and honey or agave nectar together with a whisk or hand mixer. Add eggs and beat well.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and almond milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the flour, whole wheat flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, until just combined. Then fold in chopped walnuts. Batter will be slightly lumpy but firm.
- Scoop large spoonful into a pre-greased muffin pan.
- If desired, sprinkle tops of muffins with cinnamon and oats.
- Bake muffins for 22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Muffins can be stored in air tight bag in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.