I must admit, the first time I made this I was really impressed at how simple it is to make such a tasty and healthy rice from cauliflower. It is very high in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, high in protein and dietary fiber. Just to name a few. I have made this rice and enjoyed it both raw and lightly cooked. I prefer a lightly cooked cauliflower rice, but would love to have you try making it both ways! It’s really delicious. My daughter loves to eat it too.
This is excellent rice for a curry dish. See my Cauliflower & Vegetable Curry Recipe Suggested spices to try instead of the garlic: turmeric or cumin are highly recommended with the cauliflower rice.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Remove the stem and leaves from the cauliflower and break it down into smaller little florets. I simply cut the head in half and then into quarters and remove the stem from the florets. Reserve the stem for use later. (Do not toss the leaves of the cauliflower). You can roast the leaves. This is such a devine treat, I only discovered this last year. You have to try roasting them! I will post a simple recipe soon.
- Place the small florets (in three small batches) into your food processor fitted with a blade attachment.
- Pulse until cauliflower looks like couscous.
- Empty out the cauliflower rice into a bowl and repeat with another batch. I did three batches as I did not want to over fill my food processor. As the bottom tends to get over processed and the top will then remain larger pieces.
- Once all cauliflower is processed into rice, add to a medium sized sauce pan. Stir in olive oil, garlic powder and salt, toss to combine.
- Over medium-low heat, gently cook covered cauliflower rice, stirring occasionally until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- You only want to cook the cauliflower until it becomes aromatic. You do not want to brown it.